Heritage / Braai Day South Africa 2017 - Activities, Ideas & Events
It’s that time of the year again when we celebrate what it means to be South African! This year Heritage Day falls on Sunday, 24 September 2017. Which makes Monday a public holiday and a long weekend for hard working South Africans everywhere.
We’ve compiled a list of activities and events to help you celebrate National Heritage Day.
"When our first democratically-elected government decided to make Heritage Day one of our national days, we did so because we knew that our rich and varied cultural heritage has a profound power to help build our new nation." - Nelson Mandela
- In KwaZulu-Natal the 24 September was known as Shaka Day, in commemoration of the Zulu King, Shaka.
- In 1995 it became known as Heritage Day to recognise the diverse cultural heritage that makes up our Rainbow Nation.
- In 2007, after a pointed media campaign by Jan Braai, the day got nicknamed “Braai Day.” Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu was made the national spokesperson for “Braai Day.”
Heritage / Braai Day in Cape Town
The Mother City does not disappoint with her range of Heritage Day events happening this National Heritage Day. From potjie challenges to South African style buffets, Cape Town will ensure you get to celebrate in style!
- For more Heritage Day ideas visit lekker picnic and/or braai spots in Cape Town
Boschendal Heritage Day Farm Feast
Boschendal is hosting an open-air feast with an ox roast in celebration of National Heritage Day. The braai will happen in front of Boschendal’s historic Rhone Homestead, whose lawns are home to the largest heritage rose garden in South Africa.
The feast will take place at long tables under the oak trees with diligent chefs preparing accompaniments to your meal over open fires. The pasture-fed, home-raised Angus oxen will be slow roasted on a spit over a glowing bed of coals.
Enjoy great wine, which includes a few new Boschendal releases, and platters piled with seasonal produce from the farm. There will be live entertainment by Slow Jack. Booking is essential.
- Cost: R325 for adults, R95 for kids under 10
- When: 12:00 - 16:00, 24 September 2017
- Where: Boschendal, Franschhoek
- More Info: Facebook Page
- Contact number: 021 870 4274
Heritage Day Braai at The Hyde Sky Deck And Bar
The Hyde Sky Deck and Bar is celebrating Heritage Day this year with a Heritage Day Braai. Your ticket includes a welcome drink of either a Castle Lite, Hunter’s Dry or a Coke.
Meats being braaied include chicken thighs, boerewors and drumsticks with sides of flame-seared buttered corn on the cob, traditional South African potato salad and a green salad.
There will be a choice of home baked breads and mini milk tarts will be served for dessert. Limited tickets are available so book them now to avoid disappointment.
- Cost: Sold out!
- When: 24 September 2017
- Where: The Hyde Hotel
- More Info: Heritage Day Braai at The Hyde Sky Deck And Bar
- Contact number: 021 434 0205
Potjie Challenge at The Farm Village
The Farm Village in Noordhoek will be hosting a Potjie Challenge this Heritage Day. The competition will be judged by Chef Pete Goffe-Wood (a South African Masterchef judge) and Chef Franck Dangereux.
Contestants will serve their dishes at 3pm, after which guests can buy a bowl with rice for R100p/p and taste different styles of potjiekos. The challenge’s proceeds will go to the Open Door Project, a feeding scheme for children in underprivileged communities.
- Cost: Entry to farm village is free, R100p/p to purchase a bowl for potjie challenge
- When: 24 September
- Where: The Farm Village, Noordhoek
- More Info: Facebook Page
- Contact number: 021 789 1900
South African Buffet Feast at the Presidential Hotel
Celebrate Heritage Day while enjoying a South African buffet feast at the Presidential Hotel.
Bring the whole family along to listen to some soulful tunes while you indulge in the Presidential Hotel’s traditional Sunday spread and for only R199! Kids under 10 years eat for free. Booking is essential.
- Cost: Buffet priced at R195 p/p for adults and half price for children u12, u10 free
- When: 12:30 - 14:30, 24 September 2017
- Where: Presidential Hotel
- More Info: Facebook Page
- Contact number: 021 434 8111
Heritage / Braai Day in Joburg
Bring out those cooler boxes and locate those braai tongs because Jozi has a mouthwatering array of Heritage Day events happening this National Heritage Day.
- A visit to the Johannesburg Zoo is always fun too.
Heritage Day - Food & Music Festival
What better way to spend your Heritage Day than in the spirit of Ubuntu with a proudly South African braai and music festival, providing your friends and family with some great entertainment, lekker food and awesome vibes.
In the daytime there will be food stalls, ciders and craft beer and picnic areas as well as:
- Kids entertainment
- Kids activity area
- Kids race track ( remember push bikes ) and a jungle gym area
- Live music at the pool deck
The evening event, open to over 18s only, will feature:
- 15 top SA DJs
- Pool deck party
- Full bar service
- VIP area
- El Momento members: R90
- Pre-Sale:R120 pp
- Door price: R150 pp
- Kids: R50 (2-17yrs)
- VIP packages: R1600 for 4 people (R400pp) Limited tickets available
- When: 11:00 to 14:00, 24 September 2017
- Where: Ramkietjie Country Inn & Restaurant
- More Info: Heritage Day - Food & Music Festival
- Contact number: 081 307 2001
Ekasi Braai Festival
The Ekasi Braai Festival will take place on Heritage Day at Esibayeni Butchery & Shisanyama.
Expect yummy braai meat, good music and a kids area to keep the little ones entertained. Enjoy the music and the great company while you eat your meat fresh off the braai. There will be DJs lineup.
- Cost: R150 (include meat packs) R70 for kids u12, u4 enter free
- When: 12:00 - 22:00, 24 Sep
- Where: Esibayeni Butchery & Shisanyama
- More Info: Ekasi Braai Festival
- Contact number: 011 983 9999 or 071 739 5886
Heritage Day Celebration at Constitution Hill
This Heritage Day Celebration is brought to you by AfriPopMarts. Join them at Constitution Hill and let your taste buds embark on an African food adventure. For R200, you’ll get to experience 5 meals from 5 different African nations.
Have you ever wondered what jollof rice is? Or what the difference between Ghanaian, Nigerian and Senegalese jollof rice is? This Heritage Day is the perfect opportunity to experience it and decide for yourself.
- Cost: R200
- When: 13:00 - 17:00, 24 Sep
- Where: Constitution Hill, 11 Kotze Street
- More Info: Heritage Day Celebration
- Contact number: 073 168 1639
Braaifest Dop n Chop
Come celebrate what being South African means to you and jol South African style with a day filled with live Rock music and a huge braai with your best mates.
The day’s entertainment includes:
- Nerve Zero
- Part Time Pirates
- Riff Raff
- Loose Draw
- Puppet on strings
- Dead Celebrity
- Till Terminus
- State Dependency
- Knights of Mayhem
- ...with more acts to be announced!
Entrance into Rumours Rock City is R70. When you arrive, enquire in the venue for your dop ‘n chop.
- Cost: R70
- When: 12:00, 24 September
- Where: Rumours Rock City
- More Info: Braaifest Dop n Chop
- Contact number: 079 825 7995
Heritage / Braai Day in Durban
KwaZulu-Natal, the birthplace of King Shaka, has got some great events to help you celebrate this National Heritage Day. From big feasts to sophisticated high teas with a traditional twist, Durban does not disappoint.
For more ideas of what to do in Durban this Heritage Day check out:
Heritage Day at Big Easy Durban
Make your way to the Big Easy Durban this Heritage Day for a sizzling braai platter for two served with two sides and a sauce each.
Sip on a draft beer or a glass of house wine while the mouth-watering aromas waft your way.
- Cost: R365 for 2
- When: 11:00 - 24:00, 24 September
- Where: Big Easy Durban by Ernie Els
- More Info: Heritage Day at Big Easy Durban
- Contact number: 031 336 8166
Heritage Day High Tea
The Oyster Box is celebrating Heritage Day in style with their Heritage Day High Tea. Come and taste a little bit of history with their South African-inspired journey into a culinary wonderland.
Indulge your sweet tooth with syrupy koeksisters, rich malva pudding and creamery melktert. There will also be a selection of savoury bites with will include ujeqe, putu bites and imfino.
- Cost: R450
- When: 14:30 - 17:00, 24 September
- Where: The Oyster Box, Palm Court
- More Info: Heritage Day High Tea
- Contact number: 031 514 5000
Exhibition opening: Postmodern NDEBELE
Phansi goes Phezulu Gallery invites you to the opening of their exhibition “Postmodern NDEBELE” on Saturday, 16 September at 10am.
The exhibition offers a look into how Ndebele artists became the greatest postmodern architects and artists of our time.
There will be an opening by Prof Franco Frescura and refreshments will be served. The exhibition will run till 30 September.
- Cost: Free
- When: 16 September - 30 September
- Where: Phansi Museum
- More Info: Facebook Page
- Contact number: 083 553 7898
Kloof to Inchanga Train Ride, The Valley of 1000 Hills Route
The Umgeni Steam Railway runs for the public on the last Sunday of the month. Experience the railways of the past and help them to raise funds for their new and ongoing projects.
When the Umgeni Steam Railway runs a train the Inchanga Conservancy run their Craft Market at the Inchanga Railway Station. Expect crafted items, food and refreshments. The Umgeni Steam Railway will be running two trains on Heritage Day.
- Cost: R240 (adults), R170 children (2-12yrs)
- When: 8:30 & 12:30, 24 September
- Where: Umgeni Steam Railway
- More Info: Website
- Contact number: 082 353 6003
Heritage / Braai Day in Pretoria
Pretoria is celebrating National Heritage Day this year with a range of activities to keep you and your family entertained. We’ve listed some events happening in Pretoria but for more ideas check out:
Picnic at the Barn: Heritage Day Braai & Live Music
The Climbing Barn is celebrating Heritage Day this year with a South African-style bring & braai! Bring along your picnic basket or some meat for the braai and your own drinks as there won’t be a bar. The fire will be provided for you at the venue.
It’ll cost you R50 to enter but if you’re coming just to climb, you’re exempt from the fee. If you do decide to stay and watch, donations to the event would be appreciated. All the money will go to the live music artists.
- Cost: R50, u12 free
- When: 13:00 - 17:00, 24 September
- Where: The Climbing Barn
- More Info: Picnic at the Barn: Heritage Day Braai & Live Music
- Contact number: 082 335 3220
Live Sunday Sundowners feat: Pamela Mpanza
Born and bred in Soweto, Pamela Mpanza is a vocalist of incredible talent. Her voice is uniquely capable of conjuring up any emotion when she sings.
If you’re in the mood for some African sound spiced with a zing that appeals to both the young and old, then Live Sunday Sundowners with Pamela Mpanza at African Chef is for you! Entrance is free.
- Cost: Free
- When: 18:00 - 22:00, 24 September
- Where: African Chef
- More Info: Live Sunday Sundowners feat: Pamela Mpanza
- Contact number: 012 661 3502
Erfe-niche met Akustika, JNDR & Leon Gropp
Come and celebrate Heritage Day with the Akustika Choir, JNDR and Leon Gropp in a new show, Erfe-niche. The program features great hits from some of our country's best-known singers.
Akustika will be directed by Christo Burger (piano) with Leon Gropp, Joshua na die Reën, Vinnie Henrico (drums and percussion) and Denny Lalouette (bass). The show kicks off at 8pm at the Atterbury Teater, for only R175 experience a night filled with some great tunes.
- Cost: R175
- When: 20:00 - 21:30, 24 September
- Where: Atterbury Teater
- More Info: Erfe-niche met Akustika, JNDR & Leon Gropp
- Contact number: 012 471 1700
Spring Trail Run at The Big Red Barn
If you’re a trail junkie then what better way to celebrate Heritage Day than with the Spring Trail Run at the Big Red Barn.
There are distances to cater to all fitness levels so bring the whole family and enjoy an awesome day out on the trails.
Delicious food will be available after the races. Pre-entries are available online otherwise you can enter on the day.
- 5km & 8km (R75 pre-entry) R100 on day
- 15km (R95 pre-entry) R120 on the day
- 21km (R115 pre-entry) R140 on the day
- 30km (R135 pre-entry) R160 on the day
- When: 07:00 - 12:00, 24 September
- Where: The Big Red Barn, 7 Nelson Road, Olifantsfontein
- More Info: Spring Trail Run
- Contact number: 082 332 9552
Let’s get together this National Heritage Day with friends and family to celebrate our unique cultural heritage and what it means to be South African. Be it through having a braai, attending an exhibition or having a simple meal, celebrate in style!
Our vision at Vibescout is to provide the most relevant, current and comprehensive information.
If you feel we've missed something amazing or have any suggestions regarding our system, we would love to hear from you! Contact: info (at) vibescout.com