Halloween 2017, South Africa - Parties, Activities & Events
It’s approaching that time of the year again when creepy costumes, trick-or-treating, haunted houses, ghosts and ghouls and all things horrid and scary come out of the woodwork.
Halloween, is marked a firm favourite in South Africa's social calendar. We’ve compiled a list of the best Halloween parties, activities and events.
History of Halloween
Halloween, aka All Saints’ Eve, is an annual celebration celebrated around the world on the 31 October, the eve of the Western Christian Feast of All Hallows’ Day.
It marks the beginning of that time in the year which is dedicated to remembering the dead, including martyrs, saints (hallows), and all the faithful departed believers.
It is believed that many Halloween traditions stem from Celtic harvest festivals particularly the festival of Samhain.
Halloween in Cape Town
Cape Town is celebrating Halloween with a bloodcurdling list of activities and events. Horror movies sure to leave you trembling and great tunes to keep you jiving with ghosts and ghouls, sending chills down your spine.
Halloween at Movies in the Vines
Those who dare, come join Eaglevlei Wine Estate's haunted walk with a movie screening afterwards. The walk is about 2km from start to finish and leads to a recently discovered deserted graveyard.
The graveyard is said to be haunted by victims of a terrible train accident whose ghosts now roam at night.
Movie line up:
- 27th - Split
- 28th - The Bye Bye Man
- 29th - Amusement
- 30th - (Closed)
- 31st - Clown
The Movies in the Vines run from the 27 October to the 31 October with a movie screened every night except the 30th. The price is R180 per person which includes the haunted walk, a medium pizza, popcorn, a movie ticket and a bottle of red or white wine. Don’t forget a blanket to sit on!
- Cost: R180 pp
- When: 27 - 31 October 2017 (venue ready from 6pm)
- Where: Eaglevlei Wine Estate
- More Info: Halloween at Movies in the Vines
- Contact number: 021 884 4713
Halloween pre-party at UNIK Nightclub
UNIK Nightclub is hosting the first themed party of the year. Come and get your freak on at the Halloween pre-party. UNIK Nightclub will be transformed into a Halloween dungeon with a great DJ lineup and crazy decor.
Come dressed up, there will spot prizes for the best dressed, the craziest party pants and of course the scariest. There will be a R50 cover charge and the doors will open at 9:30pm. The dress code is no effort, no entry. Table bookings are essential.
- Cost: R50 cover charge
- When: 21:00, 21 October - 04:00, 22 October
- Where: UNIK nightclub, 91 Main Road Claremont
- More Info: Halloween pre-party at UNIK nightclub
- Contact number: 076 879 2760
Something Wicked: The Halloween Blowout Vol 2
There will be free candy canes, bubblegums and shots of Bloody Mary upon arrival to the first 100. Free entry to anyone wearing a costume on the night. There will be prizes for the best dressed which include bar tabs for the night.
Look forward to spacious dance floors, insanely trippy decor by Atmosphere Decor and lounging areas for kicking back and enjoying the good vibes. The entire club is fitted with aircons for your comfort. Dress code is stylishly casual or hippie.
- Cost: R50
- When: 21:00, 27 October - 05:00, 28 October
- Where: Club Fever, Corner Castor and Pollux Road, Landsdowne
- More Info: Something Wicked: The Halloween Blowout Vol 2
- Contact number: 083 593 1711
Gandalf’s Halloween 2017
Gandalf’s Halloween parties have always been their biggest dress up party of the year. So get your costume ready in preparation for some fun and prizes.
There will be giveaways, prizes and drink specials. Doors will open at 7pm, entrance is R50. The ROAR LIVE band lineup will be announced soon so stay tuned!
- Cost: R50
- When: 19:00, 28 October - 04:00, 29 October
- Where: Gandalf's, Observatory
- More Info: Gandalf’s Halloween 2017
- Contact number: 083 330 0700
Halloween in Joburg
Joburg sure knows how to throw a party with their bone-chilling list of Halloween parties, activities and events. Attend a spooky, sci-fi theatrical performance or dress up and party for a good cause.
Truth presents Halloween Ball 2017
Truth presents their Halloween Ball 2017, a night that will open the doors to the supernatural world of spirits, shadows and sound.
Expect the spooky, deranged and straight villainous and more this Halloween at Truth.
Doors open at 9pm, there is no dress code for the night.
- Cost: TBA
- When: 21:00, 28 October - 06:00, 29 October
- Where: Truth Joburg
- More Info: Truth presents Halloween Ball 2017
- Contact number: 011 315 9295
Halloween Oreo Treats Class
Come and create your own chocolate covered Oreo treats, just in time for Halloween. All ages are welcome but children need to be accompanied by a parent.
You’ll learn the basics when it comes to working with chocolate and how to decorate Oreos with royal icing, chocolate, fondant and edible prints.
You’ll get to take home an Oreo mould and a box of Oreo treats. Book your seat through Facebook or by contacting the organiser.
- Cost: R300pp
- When: 14:00 - 15:00, 21 October
- Where: Lago Puccini, Clearwater Estate, Boksburg
- More Info: Halloween Oreo Treats Class or Facebook page
- Contact details:
- 083 225 1111
The Bride of Halloween Part 2: Plan B from Outer Space
The Bride of Halloween is a theatrical sci-fi Halloween show. Save the 29th October on your calendar and come wash away your regrets and mistakes from the previous night with Plan B from Outer Space.
Lineup and details to be confirmed.
- Cost: TBA
- When: 29 October
- Where: The Good Luck bar
- More Info: The Bride of Halloween Part 2: Plan B from Outer Space
- Contact number: 084 683 4413
Halloween Dance - SPCA Vereeniging & Vanderbijlpark
It’s time for the SPCA Vereeniging & Vanderbijlpark Halloween dance costume party at Charlani Vi. Ticket prices include dinner, however, there will be no cash bar but you are welcome to bring your own refreshments.
There are only 10 tables (100 guests) available so book now. It’s sure to be a memorable evening.
- Cost: R150 (per person), R250 (per couple), R1000 (per table of 10)
- When: 18:00 - 23:59pm, 28 October
- Where: Charlani Vi, 11 Van Der Walt Road, Harmoniesrus, Vereeniging
- More Info: Halloween Dance - SPCA Vereeniging & Vanderbijlpark
- Contact details:
- 071 689 4987
Halloween in Durban
Durban offers an eerie array of Halloween parties, activities and events to help you celebrate. Challenge yourself to do a yoga class in your Halloween costume or enjoy music that will send shivers down your spine!
Halloween Hike & Yoga
Just Breathe Yoga is back with their annual Halloween Hike & Yoga. This year they’re challenging you to come dressed up in your best Halloween costume and still be wearing it when the class ends.
There will be a prize for best dressed and many fun giveaways on the day. Entrance is R100 which includes entrance to Gibe Gorge.
The group size is limited so to ensure your spot please book online as there will be no tickets at the door.
- 07:30 - 08:00: Arrival and registration
- 08:00 - 09:00: Vinyasa Yoga Class with Mags
- 09:15 - 10:30: 5km trail run or forest hike to the waterfall
The hike is weather dependent but the yoga will take place under cover in the case of rain. Bring your own yoga mat and water for the hike. There will be a limited amount of mats available on request.
- Cost: R100 (for hike & yoga includes entrance to Giba Gorge), R20 for hike only
- When: 7:30 - 10:45, 1st October
- Where: Giba Gorge MTB Park
- More Info: Halloween Hike & Yoga
- Contact number: 076 208 8202
Fright Night Halloween
Fright Night Halloween is taking place at the Bus Stop Bar and Grill on 28 October, so wear your scariest costume and bring your tastiest date!
Early bird tickets are currently on sale so act fast! RSVP by 27 October, no ticket sales will be considered at the door currently.
- Cost: R100 (early bird), R120 (phase 2), R150 (phase 3)
- When: 19:00, 28 October - 03:00, 29 October
- Where: Bus Stop Bar and Grill, 504 Lilian Ngoyi Road
- More Info: Fright Night Halloween
- Contact number: 031 303 1988
Halloween in Pretoria
Pretoria has delivered a set of creepy parties, activities and events for your enjoyment. Killer lineups, hair raising specials, giveaways and creepy decor await you! So start planning that costume now and celebrate in spooky style.
Halloween 2017 at Arcade Fire
Expect a killer lineup, spooky vibes and terrible fun at Halloween 2017 at the Voortrekker Monument Amphi Hall area.
- Alien Ant Farm (US)
- The Plastics
- We Are Charlie
- The Tazers
- BOXER The Bad Guys
- Hello Beautiful
- lil’ bow
- Kyle Watson
- Ryan Murgatroyd
- Matt Suttner
- Two Tone
- Weston & Engine
- Kyle Russouw
Dress code is come as you aren’t because it’s Halloween and it’s a lot more fun when everyone gets freaky together.
- Cost: R180 (pre-sold online tickets), R250 (online and at door if not sold out)
- When: 16:00, 28 October - 02:00, 29 October
- Where: Amphihall Voortrekker Monument
- More Info: Halloween 2017 at Arcade Fire
- Contact number: 087 980 3531
Alice in Wonderland Halloween Party
Railways Cafe is having an Alice in Wonderland Halloween party so put on your mad hats and come along all you smiley cats!
There will be some live music including:
- Veranda Panda
- The Black Cat Bones
- Scarlotte WIll
- ... and more to be announced!
There will be a beer garden for all those thirsty throats. Alt.Market is putting on a whole day themed market filled with super creepy looking things and lots of fun.
The market starts at 11am till late. R20 will get you in during the day. There will be spot prizes to be won and trick or treating going on all day.
- Cost: R80 (before 8pm), R120 (after 8pm)
- When: 10:00, 28 October - 04:00, 29 October
- Where: Railways Cafe
- More Info: Alice in Wonderland Halloween Party
- Contact number: 012 667 1158
House of Cassim’s Halloween Bash
It’s time to dust off your scariest/sexiest outfit and come party through the night with Kyle Cassim and Austin Cassim alongside Solly P and Apollo xi.
There will be some crazy specials to help you party the night away. Doors open at 8pm, entrance is R60.
- Cost: R60
- When: 20:00, 27 October - 04:00, 28 October
- Where: Madison Avenue Pretoria
- More Info: House of Cassim’s Halloween Bash
- Contact number: 071 609 2675
Halloween Party Ver 3
Plus27 Promotions is hosting the City of Tshwane’s annual celebration for the young adults and youth to come celebrate and enjoy the Halloween feast. The main act will be Kaylow (Soul Cafe).
On the decks you’ll find:
- Louis Lunch
- Nqoobi (Hip Hop)
- Divine Brothers
- TJ Moodsetter
Early bird tickets have sold out but presale tickets are still available for R50 so act fast! Face painters will be available at the venue.
- Cost: R30 (early bird), R50 (presale), R80 (at the gate)
- When: 15:00, 28 October - 06:00, 29 October
- Where: Dinoko Park, Mabopane
- More Info: Halloween Party Ver 3
- Contact number: 073 095 1049
With our awesome list of Halloween parties, activities and events you’ll have all you need to start planning your epic night out. So get that costume ready and prepare to get groovy with ghouls and boogie the night away with banshees.
Our vision at Vibescout is to provide the most relevant, current and comprehensive information.
If you feel we've missed something amazing or have any suggestions regarding our system, we would love to hear from you! Contact: info (at) vibescout.com