26 Markets in Johannesburg: Food, Craft, Music & More - 2018
Joburg has got your back with it’s extensive range of markets. You’ll find markets that cater for both you indoor and outdoor needs without breaking the bank.
Explore Joburg in a way you’ve never seen it before. You may even discover a ‘place of gold’ in our complete list of markets in Joburg.
The Neighbourgoods market is an inner-city market. It is housed in a building sporting a 15-storey Edoardo Villa mural. The market is attended religiously by both locals and tourists.
Arrive on an empty stomach and choose from a huge selection of food and craft beers. Shop the local designers and art creations or listen to the live rooftop entertainment.
If you want to get a seat we suggest you arrive before the lunch rush. When you visit carry cash as some stalls don’t take cards. Most stalls do accept SnapScan.
- When: Saturdays, 9am – 3pm
- Where: 73 Juta Street, Braamfontein
- Full event info: Neighbourgoods Market
- Contact number: 081 416 2605
Bryanston Organic & Natural Market
Bryanston Organic & Natural market is Joburg’s first outdoor organic market and is well-established at 35 years old. A great place to have an early morning breakfast washed down with a cup of coffee made from locally-roasted beans.
Stalls offer organic beauty products, raw chocolate, organic fruit and vegetables as well as jams and preserves. The food stalls offer delicious vegan and vegetarian options. A free shuttle service runs between the market and certain Sandton hotels including Lilliesleaf.
- When: Thursdays and Saturdays, 9am - 3pm
- Where: Culross Road (off Main Road), Bryanston
- Full event info: Bryanston Organic & Natural Market
- Contact number: 011 706 3671
Tip: Most of the fresh produce is grown within a 1.5 hours radius from the city, reducing the carbon footprint.
Market on Main
Market on Main is well-known for being a foodie’s paradise. The market is located at Arts on Main in a revamped warehouse from the 1900s. It offers a variety of delicious foods from different cultures.
Upstairs you’ll find art and fashion stalls, while downstairs there are a variety of food stalls. The cherry on top comes in the form of the rooftop bar. Most stalls will accept SnapScan.
- When: Sundays, 10am – 3pm
- Where: Arts on Main, 264 Fox Street, Maboneng Precinct
- Full event info: Market on Main
- Contact number: 082 868 1335
The Sheds@1fox is located in the 1 Fox Precinct, a part of the first mining camp to form during the gold rush. It takes place in one of the restored industrial warehouses. Being one of the less crowded food markets, the market has a relaxed atmosphere.
Food stalls offer a great selection of foods to satisfy a range of palates. The Sheds@1fox is the perfect spot to enjoy a drink with friends while you enjoy the live music.
- When: Fridays, 12pm - 5pm; Saturdays, Sundays & Public Holidays, 10am - 5pm; Night Fox (last Friday of the month), 12pm - 10pm
- Where: 1 Fox Street, Ferreirasdorp
- Full event info: The Sheds@1fox
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Fourways Farmers Market
Visit the Fourways Farmers market to escape the slog of supermarket shopping. Fourways Farmers market is located across the road from Montecasino. There is an entrance fee of R10.
The market’s 107 stalls offer a selection of food that caters to all tastes. Be sure to check out the the local microbrewery selling their wares. The market offers the perfect place for a family friendly outing with its children’s play area. Dogs are welcome.
- Entrance: R10
- When: Sundays, 9am - 4pm
- Where: Corner of Montecasino Boulevard and William Nicol Drive, Fourways
- Full event info: Fourways Farmers Market
- Contact number: 011 465 0877
Tip: There is on-site parking but it fills up quickly. When there is no parking available, park at Montecasino and walk across the road to the market.
The Linden Market
This boutique pop-up market takes place in the beautiful setting of Johannesburg Botanical Gardens. It supports locally sourced and produced goods so you won’t find any run-of-the-mill items here. Entrance to the market is R20.
Stalls include a variety of food vendors, antiques and handmade arts and crafts. Vendors change from market to market offering a fresh mix of stalls each time. There are often live music performances.
- Entrance: R20
- When: Pop-up market
- Where: Botanical Gardens, entrance at 45 Thomas Bowler Street, Emmarentia
- Full event info: The Linden Market
- Contact: email@example.com
Located under the trees in the Field & Study Park, this open-air market offers the perfect place to spend a relaxed Saturday. Browse stalls selling handcrafted items, gourmet food and beverages, while you listen to the live entertainment.
Bring cash or use SnapScan as there is no ATM on site. There is a large play area for children and dogs are welcome provided they are on a leash. This is a wheelchair friendly market.
- When: Second Saturday of the month, 10am - 3pm
- Where: Corner Louise Avenue & 14th Street, Parkmore
- Full event info: Field Market
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tip: The coffee stall and some food stalls open at 9am.
Rosebank Sunday Market
Every Sunday the open rooftop parking of the Rosebank Mall is transformed into the Rosebank Sunday Market. With stalls offering choices of gourmet food, arts and craft, antiques and fashion, you’ll be spoilt for choice.
There is a kids zone for the kiddies and a rooftop bar for the adults. Enjoy the live entertainment in the form of DJs, pantsula dancers and live band performances.
- When: Sundays, 9am - 4pm
- Where: Upper Level, The Mall of Rosebank, Rosebank
- Full event info: Rosebank Sunday Market
- Contact number: 011 028 7818
Rosebank Art & Craft Market
The Rosebank Art & Craft market is an indoor flea market offering a dazzling display of African curios. It is located next to the Rosebank Mall. Displays include art and crafts made by artists from Cameroon, Zimbabwe, the Congo and the Ivory Coast to name a few.
It is a must-visit for tourists looking for souvenirs. It is open seven days a week and often bustling with tour groups.
- When: Mondays - Thursdays, 9am - 6pm; Friday, 9am - 7pm; Saturday, Sundays & Public Holidays, 9am - 5pm
- Where: Cradock Avenue, next to Europa
- Full event info: Rosebank Art & Craft Market
- Contact number: 011 568 0850
Jozi Real Food Market
If you’re looking for great food and a relaxed Saturday vibe, Jozi Real Food market is the place! The Jozi Real Food is an outdoor food market with a country flair that supports small and local producers.
Choose from a selection of fresh produce and food to enjoy at the market or take home. The market is child-friendly and pets are welcome.
- When: Saturdays, 8:30am - 1.30pm
- Where: Pirates Sports Club, 4th Avenue Extension, Parkhurst
- Full event info: Jozi Real Food Market
- Contact number: 083 532 2992 or 011 327 7043
Harties Market is an outdoor market situated near the foot of the Magaliesburg. Stallholders travel from all over to offer a selection of arts, crafts and food to satisfy your hunger.
Choose from homemade biltong to scrumptious biscuits. A visit to Harties market is a great way to spend your Saturday with its warm and welcoming atmosphere.
- When: Saturdays, 9am - 3pm
- Where: R511, Hartbeespoort
- Full event info: Harties Market
- Contact number: 082 886 5583
Sylvia’s market is a weekly outdoor market in Observatory. Pop in and browse the range of fresh produce including fresh fruit and veg, cheese, olives and homemade sauces.
There are also stalls offering a selection of homemade and handcrafted items consisting of unique designs and creations. When the browsing has left you hungry grab a bite from the gourmet food stalls.
- When: Sundays, 9am - 4.30pm
- Where: Corner Louise & Frederick Street, Observatory
- Full event info: Sylvia's Market
- Contact number: 0861 666 166
Fresh2U Farmer’s Market
Experience country living in the heart of the city at Fresh2U Farmer’s Market. Browse the collection of over 50 stalls to find fresh produce, organic meat and handmade crafts.
Grab a hot breakfast, a cup of coffee and go sit on hay bales to enjoy your purchases. If you’re visiting with kids, be sure to check out the kids arts and crafts section which contains swings and a jungle gym.
- When: First and last Saturday of the month, 9am - 2pm
- Where: Corner Main and High Streets, Modderfontein
- Full event info: Fresh2U Farmer's Market
- Contact number: 082 338 7818
Tip: The market opens at 8am in the Summer months.
The Parks Farmers Market & Pizzeria
This family-oriented Italian restaurant offers a tasty meal and some piece of mind while your kids play. There is fresh produce for sale and occasionally live music on Sundays.
The Parks offers a relaxed atmosphere and is the ideal place for children’s birthday parties. School tours are offered to teach children about fresh produce and healthy eating.
- When: Wednesdays to Sundays, 9am - 5pm
- Where: 168 Kenmuir Road, Norton's Home Estate, Benoni
- Full event info: The Parks Farmers Market & Pizzeria
- Contact number: 072 356 7816
Crafts in the Park
Crafts in the Park organises the Bokkie Park and Craft market which takes place on the first Saturday of the month. With over 80 food, arts and craft stalls you’ll be spoilt for choice.
There are a collection of regular traders and some causal traders that change every month. There is a tea garden situated under the oak trees with live music. Pony and camel rides are available for children.
Bokkie Park and Craft Market
- When: First Saturday of every month, 9am - 2pm
- Where: Southvale Road, Parkdene, Boksburg, East Rand
- Full event info: Crafts in the Park
- Contact number: 072 713 3332
Yeoville Food Market
Yeoville Food Market is arguably one of the oldest markets in Joburg. It’s a melting pot of African cultures and cuisine. Stalls mainly sell fresh produce but you’ll also find a selection of crafts, cloth, sculptures as well as spice blends and sauces for authentic African cuisine. The market can be a bit confusing if you’re a first-time visitor. Never fear though as guided tours can be arranged for the market and the surrounding Yeoville area. If you’re interested in a tour contact Dlala Nje.
- When: Mondays - Saturdays, 7am - 8pm
- Where: Corner Rockey & Cavendish Streets, Yeoville
- Contact number: 072 323 6807
Blubird Wholefood Market
Come visit the Blubird Wholefood market for food free from preservatives, additives or artificial colouring. Revel in the diversity of their food selection from Indian curries, Italian pestos and antipasti to Bulgarian yogurt and Albanian cheese.
At the Blubird Wholefood market you’ll also find a selection of biodetergents on offer as well as education programmes and recycling initiatives to get involved in.
- When: Sundays, 9am - 2pm
- Where: Blubird Shopping Centre, Corner Athol-Oaklands & Fort (off Corlett drive), Birnam
- Full event info: Blubird Wholefood Market
- Contact number: 083 311 4768
Bamboo Farmers Market
The Bamboo Farmers market is a rooftop market taking place above the Bamboo Lifestyle Centre. If you’re looking for farm-fresh local produce, Bamboo Farmers market is the place to visit.
From fresh vegetables, olives, raw honey and free-range eggs to fair trade coffee and freshly baked breads. Pop through for all your wholesome shopping needs.
- When: Saturdays, 9am - 1pm
- Where: The Bamboo Centre, 53 Rustenburg Road, Melville
- Full event info: Bamboo Farmers Market
- Contact number: 082 042 2001
27 Boxes Night Market
Chase away the mid-week blues at the 27 Boxes Night Market. Located on the top floor of 27 Boxes, this night market offers a vibrant spot to enjoy gourmet food stalls, crafts and live music.
27 Boxes is built solely out of shipping containers which lends a bohemian atmosphere to the market. Come mingle with the creative community and enjoy this architectural innovation.
- When: Wednesdays, 5pm - 9pm
- Where: 75 4th Avenue, Melville
- Full event info: 27 Boxes
- Contact number: 011 712 0000
Ngwenya Country Market
Ngwenya Country Market is a farmers market that believes in supporting local producers and businesses. You can expect to find a range of delicious food stalls, handmade crafts and organic produce in their grocery lane.
The market is child-friendly and welcomes canine visitors.
- When: First Sunday of the month, 9am - 4pm
- Where: Shady Lane, Muldersdrift (off Beyers Naude & R114 Muldersdrift, 1747)
- Full event info: Ngwenya Country Market
- Contact numbers: 082 497 6054 or 082 887 4263
Joburg Market is your comprehensive one-stop shop for all your fresh produce needs. The market is supplied with fresh produce by 5 000 farmers from all over South Africa.
A visit to the market will have you rubbing elbows with housewives, exporters, shopkeepers and restaurateurs. Trading begins early with the sprawling market soon turning into a hub of activity.
- When: Mondays to Saturdays, 5am - 11am
- Where: No. 4 Fortune Road, City Deep
- Full event info: Joburg Market
- Contact number: 011 992 8000
Panorama Flea Market
Located just south of Joburg, with close to 400 stalls, the Panorama Flea market is one of the busiest flea markets in the area. Apart from the normal flea market stores selling accessories, clothing and jewellery expect to find food stalls, live entertainment and a beer garden.
There is a shaded area to sit at with tables and benches.
- When: Saturdays, Sundays and Public Holidays, 9am - 4pm
- Where: Klipriver Drive, Mulbarton
- Full event info: Panorama Flea Market
- Contact number: 011 682 2222
Walkerville Farmers Market
The Walkerville Farmers market is a family friendly fresh produce and craft market. Food stalls provide you with a variety to choose from as well as access to chilled craft beer.
The arts and craft stalls provide a chance to find an antique gem or choose from beautiful collection of leatherwork and woodwork. There is a coffee shop on the premises. Dogs are welcome at the market.
- When: Saturdays, 9am - 3pm
- Where: 112 Main Road (R82), Walkerville
- Full event info: Walkerville Farmers Market
- Contact number: 079 076 7680
De Deur Fleamarket & Auction
De Deur Fleamarket is the embodiment of ‘one man’s trash is another man’s treasure’. Located just 30 minutes outside of Joburg, pop in for your a-z shopping needs.
Browse through the hundreds of stalls spanning 3km or sell your wares to the thousands of market-goers that visit.
- When: Saturdays, 6am -1pm
- Where: 290 Cross Road, De Deur
- Full event info: De Deur Fleamarket
- Contact number: 082 774 9283
The LoCrate Market
The LoCrate market is a vibrant lifestyle market situated in Soweto. LoCrate provides a space for creators, innovators and entrepreneurs to exhibit and sell their wares while mingling with like-minded people.
LoCrate offers a host of food, fashion, art and lifestyle stalls. Between snapping pictures for Instagram, why not grab a cold beer and listen to the live music or occasional poetry session.
- When: First Sunday of the month, 11am - 6pm
- Where: Corner of Moema and Kudu Street, Vilakazi Precinct, Orlando West, Soweto
- Full event info: LoCrate
- Contact number: 073 521 9035 or 078 967 2617
Joburg markets offer a comprehensive selection from farm-fresh produce to handcrafted arts and crafts. You’ll find markets catering to all your needs. Shop your local markets and discover all they have to offer.
If you feel we've missed something amazing or have any suggestions regarding our system, we would love to hear from you! Contact: info (at) vibescout.com